· 49 years old, been involved in the Meat Industry since I was 13 and still as passionate about it today as I was then.
· Started an after school job cleaning in a supermarket butchery when 13, then started doing work experience 1 day per week from the age of 14 in a private butcher shop.
· Both these butchers offered me apprenticeships when I turned 15, I chose the supermarket as it was more varied and busier!!
· Went to Auckland after I finished my apprenticeship and worked for the Mad Butcher for about 18 months, then to the brand new Woolworths supermarket at 277 Broadway in Newmarket and then lastly at Avondale Wholesale Meats.
· I then moved to Wellington to work as a butchery manager for Pak n Save, which is where I met my lovely wife Pam.
· After a couple of years an opportunity arose to enter the export processing side of the industry which has been a very rewarding career, to the point where I am now Plant Manager at AFFCO in Wairoa which is one of the North Islands largest multi species plants.
· I have a Diploma in Meat Technology from Massey University and a Post Grad Diploma in Management from Waikato University
· We have 2 sons, our eldest Ben is at Canterbury University studying Engineering and our youngest Sam has just started a builders apprenticeship.
· In my spare time when we aren’t fishing or travelling, I like to make my own smallgoods and beef jerky. I also enjoy BBQ and slow roasting meats.